...was described by our Boss as an opening to one of our all-day meetings earlier this week. I was quite fascinated by the way people reacted to the particular question that he posed and thought I'd check out how other people would answer.
The situation was described as thus:
- There are two train tracks - Track A and Track B.
- Track A, is a track that is in regular use, while Track B, is a track that is not in use.
- On Track A, 3 children are playing - while on Track B, one child is playing alone.
- A train is hurtling down Track A, and it's heading for the three kids.
- If you are in charge of the lever that switches the course of the train between Track A and Track B, and you therefore have only two choices, which one would you choose and why?
a. Let the train continue on Track A towards the 3 children OR
b. Divert the train to Track B towards the kid playing solo?
The idea here is to not think too much, and put down your instinctive response.
I'd be interested to know your first reaction, reasons why, and whether your answer changed as you wrote it in the comments section.
I will tell you the 'correct answer' after a while - let's say after 8-10 people submit their views?
That sounds fair to me